the chronicles of my journey to a thinner me

My Progress
my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Diet Diary
Mini Goal - One-derland

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A journey of a 1000 miles

They say a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. It stands to reason then that a journey to lose weight begins with a single bite.

As a guy in a bar recently pointed out to me, I am large. Too large by quite a bit. (He also had issues with my eyebrows, but that's a blog for another day.) I'm not quite sure why he felt the need to tell me this - did he really think I hadn't noticed? "Oh my God! What happened? I was a size 4 when I left the house this morning!" That would be obvious if it were true because size 4 clothes on my present-sized body would make me look as if the Incredible Hulk and I shared the same stylist. After having passed through the stages of humiliation, rage, resignation, and depression, I find myself now at a stage I'm calling 'reality'.

My reality is that I AM FAT. I am too fat and I don't like anything at all about how that makes me feel - physically or mentally. This is my reality, but it doesn't have to always be. I can change that. I have decided that I am ready to take the steps necessary to change my present reality into one that I can feel good about.

I have not always been fat. There were times in my life where I was very happy with how I looked and felt. Like most people, I have had some very difficult times in my life. During what I like to refer to as 'my mini nervous breakdown' two years ago, I put on weight. A lot of it. I survived that time, but I still carry the pounds like battle scars. I am finally ready to shed them.

For this journey, I have decided to use Weight Watchers because it promotes a healthy lifestyle that will get me back in the habit of controlling my portions and making better decisions. I like the fact that instead of outlawing certain foods and drink, it teaches you how to include those things in moderation. I have also decided to use this blog to journal my food, my feelings and my progress. My goal is to be 100% honest here - to never lie in order to have a 'perfect' journal.

So today I take the first step in my journey. One day at a time. One step at a time. Here we go, left foot...

No comments: