the chronicles of my journey to a thinner me

My Progress
my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Diet Diary
Mini Goal - One-derland

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Something new...

Well, I started something new. I'm training to become a runner. Yes, not to run a race, but to run - period. I have done a little running at times in my past (there were times in my life where I could run a mile or 2), but I have never stuck with it enough to get good at it - or where it wasn't so hard.

Yesterday I started a running program. It's similar to the 'Couch to 10K' thing that everyone is doing, only this one comes from Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/beginner/0,7146,s6-238-277-278-0,00.html

So last night was Week 1, Day 1. It was the perfect day not to start. I had to go and buy a stop watch and got sidetracked looking around at Academy, so we got a late start. I was tired and it was hot, there were big hills, but I SO wanted to do this, and I had my new stop watch and all... So I ACTUALLY DID IT! I even ran some of my intervals up hill. Now I'm not saying I wasn't huffing and puffing - hubby did ask for a confirmation that I was not going to have a heart attack on him - but I DID IT! All 10 intervals. I think I did pretty good. I tried to run softly to make sure not to injure myself while I'm just getting started. But I'm not in pain today. We've been walking that park quite a bit lately, and it does have some killer hills so I guess that paid off. I am so psyched!

Week 1 goes like this:

Monday - Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes - repeat this combo 10x

Tuesday - 30 minute easy walk

Wednesday - Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes - repeat this combo 10x

Thursday - 30 minute easy walk

Friday - Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes - repeat this combo 10x

Saturday - Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes - repeat this combo 10x

Sunday - REST

It's designed to get your body caught up with your cardiovascular system so that you don't overdo it early on and get hurt. By Week 8, you should be up to running 30 minutes non-stop. I am so excited.

Anyway, I figured that the Week 1 Walk/Run days are 3 Activity points (probably more actually because there is a warm up and cool down walk that last anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. But we'll just stick with 3 for now. The Walk days will actually be more than the 1 minute that an easy 30 min walk gets you because we will be walking longer at a quicker pace and there are some pretty good hills. I would say those days will be at least 2 AP.

I'm still not sure if I will eat the APs or not. I might. But I am going to start tallying them starting today which is my regular weigh in day - day 1 of my WW week.

Much more to come. I am going to try to come up with a good format for posting this activity info, but for now I'll just do it this way.

No comments: